Monday 6 March 2023

The Will of George Sproule of Curraghamulkin

This is George Sproule of Curraghamulkin, son of Andrew Sproule of Curraghamulkin

PRONI Reference :          LR1/1819/1 In a box from A Sproule & Ors, County Tyrone, Record Number EC 07049, Box 1819

Transcribed by Kate Tammemagi

The Will of George Sproule of Curraghamulkin

In the Name of God Amen I George Sproul do make this my last will and testament. First I leave to my beloved wife Ann Sproul during her natural life my farm in Currickamulkin as possessed by myself and Henry McCanny and Harpers Meadow and also my farm in Tappahan allowing her to pay the whole Chief Rent of Cool, the rent of Currickamulkin and Harpers Meadow together with all my household furniture, farming utensils cars, carts and harnesses also as much of my cattle sheep and horses as she may require in occupying the same. I also bequeath her during her natural life that part of Dillachan now occupied by Chadwalader Blayney and his undertennants the rent amounting to forty-six pounds nine shillings late Irish pounds with all the arrears of rent that may happen to be due on same at the time of my decease.

Next I bequeath to my two sons Robert and Oliver share and share alike and to their heirs and assigns at their mother’s decease all that land in Currickamulkin Harpers Meadow and Tappahan bequeathed to her during her lifetime and all the rent and arrears that will be on same at the time of her decease and also all the stock of cattle sheep and horses she may die possessed of. Also I bequeath to my two sons Robert and Oliver and to their heirs and assigns all the remainder of my part of Dillachan and Cool together with all the arrears of rents rent charges not bond and Judgement debts and all my chattel property of any kind whatsoever subject to all my just debts funeral expenses and the following bequests. I allow my sons Robert and Oliver and their heirs and assigns to pay my illegitimate son James twenty pounds yearly from the first day of May one thousand eight hundred and forty six in half yearly payments, the first payment to become due the first day of November 1846 and I allow that it shall not be lawful for them to sell Dillichan or any part thereof without being subject to the said twenty pounds yearly to my said son James during his natural life and no longer. I also allow my said two sons Robert and Oliver their heirs and assigns to pay my son Andrew 3 pence per day during his natural life and also to keep him in good and sufficient lodging and clothing of every sort allowing him at all times to give up the old cloths when he shall get the new ones.

I also allow if my wife Anne would at any time hereafter desire to leave the said farms in Currickamulkin and Taphahan to give up the same to my sons Robert and Oliver taking with her any part of the furniture horses and cows or any things before bequeathed her dividing the remainder between my two sons Robert and Oliver as she shall think proper. I appoint my two sons Robert and Oliver as executors to this my last will and testament revoking all others. Signed this day 3d day June 1836 George Sproul in the presence of Oliver Sproul, James Sproul, Thomas Graham.

Will of Andrew Sproule of Curraghamulkin

Land

  • Currickamulkin – this is Curraghamulkin in West Longfield, Tyrone. The is old name for this, Carickamulkin or Currickamulkin. This land was left to George by his father Andrew Sproule of Curraghamulkin
  • Dillichan – this is Dullaghan. Chadwaladar Blayney, who is on the piece of land in this will, is married to Mary Sproule, daughter of John Sproule of Grennan.
  • Taphahan – this was called Tappaghan in the Will of George’s father, Andrew Sproule of Curraghamulkin.
  • Cool – this is Coole, Cooel,  now called Coolavanagh


No comments:

Post a Comment