James Sproule was born about 1816 in Tullymoan, Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland. James was son of Andrew Sproule of Tullymoan and Rebecca Mackey of Lismontigley, Raphoe, County Donegal. James Sproule married MARY MCGLINCHY in 1869 when he was 53 years old. Mary was from Laghtmorris, Termonamongan, County Tyrone and was born in 1838.
James died on 10th March 1897 in Tullymoan, County Tyrone, aged 81.
Mary died in 1923 in Tullymoan, Tyrone.
Mary and James Sproule had nine children:
1. ANDREW WILLIAM SPROULE was born on 15th Nov 1870 in Tullymoan. He died in 1909 in Strabane aged 38.
2. SAMUEL SPROULE was born on 17th Feb 1872. Samuel Sproule became the owner of Tullymoan when his mother died in 1923 and his family are there to this day.
3. REBECCA JANE SPROULE (BECKY) was born on 7 Jul 1873
4. CATHERINE SPROULE (CASSIE) was born on 20 Jan 1875. Cassie married PHILIP MCNULTY
5. MARGARET MATILDA SPROULE (TILLY) was born on 15 Apr 1876. Tilly married James Loughlin on 8 Sep 1913.
6. THOMAS SPROULE was born on 24 Aug 1877. Thomas worked as policeman in Dublin from approximately 1897 to 1922. He was offered a position with the Garda but he took early retirement and went back to Doneyloop in Donegal to farm. He married Catherine Gallagher from Castlederg in August 1938 when he was 61 years old and they had two boys. Thomas died on 8th of September 1970 aged 93.
7. HENRY SPROULE was born on 31 May 1879. He married SARA ANN MCCLOSKEY in Sep 1916.
8. ROBERT SPROULE was my grandfather. He was born on 31st May 1879 with his twin Henry in Tullymoan, County Tyrone. He died in 1966 in Derry. He married Sara Dreenan, daughter of Owen Dreenan of Ardmalin, Malin Head, County Donegal and Annie McLaughlin, in Dec 1908 in St Eugenes Cathedral, Derry. Sara Dreenan was born about 1892 and she died on 10th Mar 1938.
Robert was a policeman in the Royal Irish Constabulary and, at the time of his wedding, he was stationed in Athenry.
Robert retired from the RIC at the time of independence in 1922.
In the 1911 Census, Robert and Sara are living in 43, Argyle Street, with their baby Veronica. They lived there till they moved to Westland Avenue.
9. Richard Sproule was born in 1881 and he died in 1882