Tuesday 10 May 2022

The Nabob

An email from Exeter, England, Nov 2019

Hello,
You don't know me I'm afraid. I am just a PA who works for Devon County Council and on wet days, sometimes I go for a walk around the nearby church at St Leonard's Topsham Road, Exeter in my short lunchbreak.
I have been trying to find out a bit more about the intriguing plaque on the wall of the church dedicated to Robert Sproule. It doesn't have a date and it does not say who put the plaque up but the message is lovely:

"Dedicated to Robert Sproule
This tablet is erected by one who knew thy worth, experienced thy friendship, and laments thy loss, friend of my soul, farewell"

I found your research on the internet and I was wondering if you can tell me anything more about it?  Who might have put the plaque up and why?  It's so lovely and it is in a precious place right over the altar of St Leonard's Church.
Kind Regards,
Daisy Spencer (not real name)


A letter from Bombay 1785

Written on 27 March 1785 from Constantine O'Donnell in Bombay to the Earl of Abercorn,  

“The Europa Indiaman sailed in January last, since which no ship has left this for Europe. A Mr. Sproul, a relation of the doctor's in Strabane, took his passage on her; he had been principal surgeon for some time before, and though by no means as easy in his circumstances, as those who generally leave this after having had the hospital, yet he is worth as much as should be considered a decent competence.” PRONI D623/A/68/6

A letter from Strabane, Tyrone 1785

A letter written 18 September 1785 James Hamilton agent in Strabane, to the Earl of Abercorn:

“A very intimate and good friend of my son Robert's, a Mr Sproul nephew to Mr Sproul of this town dined with me a few days ago in company with Majors Law and Gardner,  two very intimate friends of my son John's.

I never could receive more pleasure than I did in the account they all gave of them, Sproul of his friend and the others of their's. John had written me often about Law and Robert of Sproul.

Sproul served his time to his uncle and went to India about 17 years ago; he had in his apprenticeship contracted a love for one of Mr Sproul's daughters; they made some sort of an engagement.

The poor girl has been very sickly for some years, and is very much changed; however he continued steady as she did, and yesterday they were married; I beg pardon for this trouble, but I could not help mentioning the uncommon goodness of my son's friend” PRONI D623/A/46/17

Records in Dundalk, Louth

1) Hearth Money receipt No. 325 Parish Dundalk. “Received the 20th Day of May 1789 from Robert Sproule Esquire of Dundalk the sum of £1 s. 2 for 11 Hearths due to his Majesty the 21st of November 1788 and payable the 21st of January 1789.” William Bryden Hearth Collr. Hearth Collector

2) Receipt No. 5 Parish Dundalk 1788 “Received from Robert Sproule Esquire of Dundalk £4 Carriage for the Duty on one Carriage with lower wheels, for the Year ending 25th March 1789...” (National Library of Ireland )

 These are all Robert Sproules -  Robert on the plaque of the church of St Leonard's, Topsham Road, Exeter; Mr Sproul in Bombay in 1781; Mr Sproul in Strabane in 1785; Robert Sproule in Dundalk in 1789. What connects them? Yes, of course – they are all the same man, the same Robert Sproule.

This man who was loved by his friends, this man who was a not so well off Surgeon of Bombay, this man who was a very affluent ‘esquire’ in Dundalk, this is the same Robert Sproule who died in his house called 'Parker’s Well', in the Topsham Road, Exeter, England in 1807.  

He is better known to us as Robert Sproule the Nabob.

 

Other posts in this series:

2. The Story of Robert Sproule the Nabob 1

No comments:

Post a Comment