Tuesday 24 May 2022

The Will of Robert Sproule the Nabob, of Stabane, of India, of Dundalk and of Parker’s Well

 The Will of Robert Sproule the Nabob, of India, of Dundalk and of Parker’s Well in Devon dated 19 Nov 1805

National Archives, England, Title:   Will of Robert Sproule of Saint Leonard , Devon Catalogue reference:   PROB 11/1456/235

This Will is long and tortuous, and the script is an even older version than is usual for this time.  Most of this Will was transcribed heriocally by Marie Maguire, who deserves a medal! Marie, you have my grateful thanks. I, Kate Tammemagi, finished it (and cut a few corners) 

I have provided a full list of all the bequests in this Will, with notes as to who everyone is here - Key Points from the Will

In the name of God Amen I Robert Sproule formerly of Dundalk in Ireland but now residing at Parker’s Well in the parish of St. Leonards, County of Devon in England Esq. being of sound mind and considering now the uncertainty of life do make this my last will in manner and form following, that is to say to my sister in law Mrs Catherine Porter of Strabane in Ireland I bequeath the sum of two hundred pounds sterling Irish currency. To Mrs Mary Gamble of the same place I bequeath the sum of one hundred pounds sterling Irish currency. To my cousin James Kerr of the parish of Ardstraw County of Tyrone in Ireland I bequeath the sum of fifty pounds sterling Irish currency. To Jackson Golding of the General post office City of Dublin Esquire I leave the sum of two hundred pounds Sterling or same currency. To John Smyley Barrister of Law of the same city Esq. I leave the like sum of two hundred pounds Sterling same currency.

To my brother Thomas Sproule I leave the sum of one hundred pounds Sterling same currency. To my sisters Rebecca Sproule and Elizabeth Rankin I leave the sum of one hundred pound Sterling same currency. I have not thought it necessary to leave anything to my sister Martha as she has already been provided for by the late Mr Robert Sproule.

To each of the sons and each of the daughters of my brother Thomas I bequeath the sum of one hundred pounds Sterling same currency. To each of the sons of my deceased sister Jane Lecky I leave one hundred pounds sterling or same currency and to each of the daughters of my said sister Jane Lecky I leave the sum of fifty pounds sterling or same currency. To each of the sons and to each of the daughters of my deceased sister Mary Johnston I leave the sum of fifty pounds sterling or same currency. To Oliver Lecky son of my deceased sister Ann Lecky and to each of the daughters of the said Ann Lecky I leave one hundred pounds sterling or same currency. To each of the sons of my sister Martha Sproule I leave the sum of fifty pounds sterling or same currency. To Robert Sproule, John Sproule and Samuel Sproule all sons of my sister Rebecca Sproule I leave one hundred pounds sterling or same currency. To Charles Sproule and to the two daughters of my said sister Rebecca Sproule I leave fifty pounds sterling or same currency. To the two daughters of my sister Elizabeth Rankin I leave the sum of fifty pounds sterling or same currency. To Samuel Sproule eldest son of my brother Thomas I leave the sum of two hundred pounds sterling or same currency in addition to the legacy to which he will be entitled in common with his brothers and sisters. To Robert Sproule son of the last named Samuel Sproule I leave one hundred pounds sterling or same currency. To Robert Sproule son of my nephew James Sproule of the parish of Ardstraw I leave the sum of one hundred pounds sterling or same currency.To Robert Durham son of Mr Andrew Durham of Bovolcan near Lisburn in Ireland I leave the like sum of one hundred pounds sterling or same currency. To Katherine Cowan, John Cowan and Robert Cowan being all children of Reverend Thomas Connolly Cowan now of Rousden St Eyres County of Devon I leave the sum of one hundred pounds sterling ...in British money. To my nephew Samuel Sproule son of my brother Thomas before mentioned I leave my gold watch chain and seals.

To my wife I leave and bequeath all my estate and interests in the lease of the house and grounds of Parker’s Well in the parish of Saint Leonards County of Devon in which I now reside.  To my wife I also bequeath all my household furniture, silver plate, wines, horses and carriages that I may be possessed of at the time of my death and I desire also that the yearly rent of the said house and grounds of Parker’s Well aforesaid payable to John Baring  Esq. shall be paid out of my estate and property yearly and every year so long as my wife shall inhabit the said house and grounds and without any subvention from the yearly annuity hereafter left to my said wife.

As to all the rest and residue of my personal estate and property whatsoever and all my lands whatsoever  and all my estate and interests herein  I bequeath the same to Jackson Golding Esquire and to John Smyley Esquire both before mentioned and to the Reverend Thomas Connolly Cowan now of  Roulston St Eyres in the county of Devon as executors, admins and assigns respectively holding to the quality of the said estates in trust moreorless to pay therefrom and present to my sister-in-law Mary Sproule the interest of one thousand pounds sterling British yearly and every year during her life and to my wife during her life an annuity or yearly stipend of five hundred pounds Sterling British yearly and every year the said annuity to be charged and made payable by my said trustees  survivors or survivor of them  or the assigns  executors or admins of the survivor on and out of some of my property real or personal and in such a manner as to my said trustees ... (there follows technical things on how the annuity to his wife and the interest to sister-in-law Mary Sproule should be paid etc.)

My said trustees and the survivors or survivor of them and the heirs executors and admin of same survivor shall apply the interest, annual product of my real and personal estate and property as they deem proper for to apply towards the maintenance, clothing and education of my daughter Rebecca Jane Sproule until my said daughter shall attain the age of twenty one years or if she shall marry before the age of twenty one years until her marriage. My said trustees and the survivors or survivor of them and the heirs executors and admin of same survivor shall hold the residue and remainder of all my estate in  bonds ..... and .... and all my real and personal property to the sole use and benefit of my said daughter Rebecca Jane Sproule her heirs executors  and assigns respectively subject to the aforesaid annuity to my wife for her life and to the interest on the sum of ten thousand pounds to my sister-in-law Mary Sproule for life and I appoint my said daughter Rebecca Jane Sproule residual legatee of this my will but in case my said daughter Rebecca Jane Sproule who was born on the sixteenth day of December in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety shall die unmarried before the  age of majority then and in such case I bequeath all my bonds.. estate whatsoever and whersoever all my estate and personal property subject to the annuity to my said wife for her life and to the interest on the sum of £1000 to my said sister-in-law Mary Sproule … shall be laid out by my said trustees or the survivors of them on good and sufficient investments baring interest the same to be added to my personal property and so manage the bonds trusts and profits as may be thought necessary .. shall be applied towards maintenance, clothing and education of Robert Sproule and Thomas Sproule both sons of my nephew Samuel Sproule and grandsons of my brother Thomas and Robert Sproule son of my nephew James Sproule and grandson of my said brother Thomas and I hereby direct my said trustees and the survivors and survivor of them his heirs executors and admins to apply so much of the said interest or annual produce of my real and personal property as they or he shall think necessary and proper for the before mentioned purposes until the boys before mentioned shall attain their respective ages of twenty one years after the death of my wife my daughter Rebecca  Jane having died unmarried before her age of twenty one I leave and bequeath to the before mentioned Robert Sproule son of my nephew Samuel Sproule before mentioned my freehold farm of Altamullan in the county of Tyrone in Ireland and to his heirs male forever and failing his issue, I leave and bequeath the same to his brother Thomas Sproule before mentioned and to his heirs male forever and failing issue,  I leave and bequeath the same to the before mentioned Robert Sproule son of my nephew James Sproule and grandson of my brother Thomas and his heirs forever. And also after the Death of my said wife, my daughter Robert Jane Sproule dying unmarried before the age of 21 It is my Will that my Trustees and Executors before and hereafter mentioned … (More technical repeating here) shall pay herewith to each of the sons of my brother Thomas Sproule the sum of two hundred pounds in addition to the sum bequeathed them and to each of the daughters of my said brother Thomas the sum of one hundred pounds in addition to the sum before bequeathed them. To each of the sons of my deceased sister Jane Lecky the sum of £200  in addition to the sum before bequeathed to them and to each of the daughters of my said deceased sister Jane Lecky the sum of £100 in addition to the sum before bequeathed to them. To Oliver Lecky son of my deceased sister Ann Lecky the sum of £200 in addition to the sum before bequeathed to him and to each of the daughters of my said sister Ann Lecky the sum of £100 in addition to the sum before bequeathed to them. To my sister Martha Sproule the sum of £50 and to William Sproule, son of my said sister Martha Sproule the sum of £100 in addition to the sum before bequeathed to them. To Robert Sproule, John Sproule and Samuel Sproule all sons of my sister Rebecca Sproule the sum of £200 in addition to the sum before bequeathed to them and to Charles Sproule son of my said sister Rebecca Sproule and to the daughters of my said sister the sum of £100. To each of the daughters of my sister Elizabeth Rankin the sum of £100  in addition to the sum before bequeathed to them. To Eliza Sproule daughter of my brother-in-law John Sproule of the City of Dublin the sum of £200 sterling for her sole and separate use. To Robert Porter and to each of the daughters of my sister-in-law Catherine Porter before mentioned the sum of £50 in addition to the sum before bequeathed to them. To each of the daughters of my cousin Mrs Mary Gamble before mentioned the sum of £50 sterling.

As to all the rest residue and remainder of my property whatsoever and wheresoever not heretofore disposed of in the event of the death of my said daughter under twenty one years of age and unmarried as aforesaid and after the death of my wife to each before mentioned Robert Sproule and Thomas Sproule, both sons of my nephew Samuel Sproule before mentioned and to Robert Sproule, eldest son of my brother James Sproule before mentioned share and share alike when each shall respectively attain the age of twenty one years of age having already given a little monitary assistance to same of each sons and daughters of Thomas and to some extent the sons and daughters of my sisters before mentioned.

(the will goes on for another 2 pages, but this is the complete list of beneficiaries of the will)

Signed 19 Nov 1805

Witness Jacob Phillips, John Sears, Jacob P. Ogilvy


 Thanks again to Marie Maguire for transcribing this Will 


Other posts in this series:

2. The Story of Robert Sproule the Nabob 1

4. Robert Sproule becomes - the Nabob 

5. Key Points from the Will 

No comments:

Post a Comment